I have released a big update to the free Chrome browser extension “Patent Claims Tree” which was first published back in 2012. The latest version of this tool is called “Patent Claims Analyzer” to reflect richer functionality and includes a number of new features and enhancements that I find handy during patent analysis, including:
- There is an added ability to hide dependent claims
- It is possible to show independent claims text for ease of referencing claims while simultaneously reading the patent specification
- For Google Patents you can select an independent claim to scroll the webpage to that claim
- A copy option copies text for a selected independent claim for convenience in pasting elsewhere
- There is an optional “Save as Chart” feature that creates a pre-populated claim chart document — this works best for Google Patents
- Settings functionality and flow is improved
The Patent Claims Analyzer tool is a Chrome browser extension that displays patent claims information for all patent claims listed on a current webpage, such as:
- Independent claim numbers
- Independent claim word count
- Independent claim type (best effort)
- Independent claim text
- Dependent claim numbers
- Hierarchical dependencies
- Priority date (Google Patents only)
- Several helpful links, such as USPTO Assignments, USPTO Maintenance info, Global Dossier, Espacenet, EPO Patent Register, EPO Federated Register, Google Patents Prior Art Finder, and more
The tool provides interactive features, such as:
- Hide/Show dependent claims
- Show/Hide independent claim text
- Copy independent claim text
- Scroll to claim in webpage (US patents in Google Patents only)
- Export pre-filled claim chart
Select the red claims tree icon on the right side of the address bar in the Chrome browser to see a patent claims tree and associated details.
Currently supported on the following websites (at least partially):
- Google Patents (.com, .de, .fr, .co.uk, .se, .ca, co.in, co.nz currently — send me requests for additional countries). Currently US, EP, WO, and CA patent documents are handled. A future update will also handle documents from other jurisdictions such as DE.
I do my best to present the claims trees and information correctly, but I cannot guarantee results because the supported websites are dynamic and often changing — so PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY ISSUES YOU ENCOUNTER. The extension is provided ‘As-Is’ without any express or implied warranty of any kind.
Privacy: Note that no information is transmitted from the extension — all webpage data handling is done only at your local browser in the extension. This and other Chrome extensions from Wolf Mountain IP are provided free for use for the benefit of fellow members of the patent community.
Multiple dependent claims are not currently fully supported. Also, only claims in English are currently fully supported. Some basic French and German handling is provided.
Visited links on Google Patents pages are highlighted, facilitating review projects.
For additional information, visit Wolf Mountain IP’s support page for the Patent Claims Analyzer.